ust because you’re pregnant doesn’t mean you have to forgo wearing current trends and give up your edgy style. With lots of weird and wonderful things happening to your body right now, dressing for your changing shape can be a difficult task. Knowing what pieces work well together will certainly help take the guess work out of trying to get ready in the morning and look presentable, especially when all you want to do is go to work in your jammies.
Here are the clothing basics to build a killer maternity wardrobe that feels comfortable and will have you radiating mama-to-be confidence…
What to buy:
- Black pants
- Black leggings
- Basic tank tops
- Basic tees
- Wrap dress
- Black skirt
Things to consider:
- Buy clothing pieces that are solid in colour. Black, grey, navy and white are definitely the way to go. This way you can easily mix and match with other pieces. You can’t go wrong with layering!
- Extend the wear of your new clothing purchases by buying pieces that you can nurse in when your baby is born i.e. wrap dresses, button down tops.
- Invest in on-trend accessories for the season – a cape, statement necklace, fedora hat, scarf or wayfarers.
- Access what’s already in your wardrobe. You may be able to wear an old maxi dress with an empire waist, a blazer with the buttons undone or a stretchy cardigan.
- A great way to utilise what’s in your wardrobe in those early months of pregnancy is to use bellybands and pants extenders.
- If you put together an outfit that you absolutely love take a selfie of yourself, so when baby brain sets in you can easily recreate the look again.
- Check out what current pregnant celebs are wearing and steal her style!
Maternity wear products included in the above image are as follows:
- Noppies Camren Skinny Black Pants $99.95
- Trimester™ Lyndon Collared Wrap Dress in navy stripes $109.95
- Trimester™ Palisades Drape Tee $69.95
- Trimester™ Revelation Jersey Skirt $74.95
- in nude $49.95
- Amoralia Secon Skin Nursing Camisole in ivory $69.95
- Deshabille Twilight Maternity Cardigan in cappuccino $139
Post and graphic by Rose Polglase.
Rose is the voice behind the blog, Stylista Mama. Mama to one, PR chick and a handbag enthusiast. Rose loves writing to-do-lists, soy chai lattes, Sex & the City re-runs and long walks on the beach. Rose blogs at, a lifestyle and fashion blog about doing motherhood in style. You can also follow Rose on twitter @stylistamama or Instagram @roseloveslife.