Best Met Gala 2014 Makeup: Top 4 Best Dressed Faces at the 2014 Met Gala
Commemmorating British- born fashion icon and couturier Charles James, this year’s Met Gala red carpet saw flowing old Hollywood glamour mixed with more modern geometrical cuts.
We all know by now that I’m all about the faces, but coincidentally this year my favourite faces belonged to the women who were wearing my favourite gowns!
Here are my Top 4 Best Dressed faces (and bodies)!
Number 4: Karolina Kurkova in Marchesa
Why this worked:
- The focus was on the dress; being such an iconic night for fashion, it’s really important Karolina understood how to carry such a statement gown. Her hair and makeup were perfectly understated so the focus was on the lean lines of her body and the flamboyant curves of the gown.
- She looks effortlessly sunkissed; the right self-tanner goes a long way. Karolina’s skin is so naturally tanned, it actually looks natural! Make sure you exfoliate well and do all your hair removal two days before the event so your tan goes on evenly. Self tan the day before to give you time to either add more depth or allow for the tan to fade.
My tan of choice is definitely professional-strength-at-home, Aussie company Loving Tan. Being a pasty lass myself, this is the only at-home self tan I’ve ever used that wasn’t dark and brown, and didn’t fade off in patches. A difficult find believe it or not.
Try Loving Tan 2hr Express Tanning Mousse in Dark, $34.99, www.lovingtan.com
Number 3: Dita Von Teese in Zac Posen
Why this worked:
- She knows how to dress for her body type; Dita is such an icon for the busty, lusty feminine woman, and she always dresses for the part. Such a figure hugging gown on her, in the beautiful fleshy tone that this was, is reminiscent of a tube of lipstick, or a ballet slipper, or a strawberries and cream lollipop. I am girl-crushing majorly on this look, and she looks just edible.
- Her skin is, in every way, flawless; As usual Dita’s skin looks like whipped cream, and this is so necessary to pull off a gown like this one. Having used a billion foundations in my 8 years of cosmetics experience, I have to say the Arbonne Perfecting Liquid Foundation and matching primer are a duo that are tough to beat.
The company boasts that this foundation is a multitasking liquid foundation with skin-firming properties that helps lift the appearance of facial contours, smooth and even skin tone AND provides sun protection. Having used this foundation in the shade “Buff” myself over the last few months, I am living testament to this claim.
For all you oily skin types out there, teaming this perfecting foundation with Arbonne’s Makeup Primer will help minimise the appearance of pores and delay the onset of oil production. Happy days.
Try Arbonne Perfecting Liquid Foundation, $56 and Primer, $51, www.arbonne.com/shop-online
Number 2: Suki Waterhouse in Burberry
Why this worked:
- Her dress seems to be like a second skin to her; Suki’s gown just melts right down her body and it seems as though it is just an extension of her. The ruffles play off her boyish figure and it hugs her petite décolletage, rather than having her drown in it. She looks ethereal.
- Her makeup is oh-so romantic; the smouldering plums in her eyes tie in neatly with the bold scarlet of her lip colour. She looks romantic and sexy without the crassness that often comes with opting for a smokey look.
Because her dress and hair are so girly and soft, her makeup here is the perfect compliment and contrast to complete this look.
When I think smoulder, I think Tom Ford. You simply cannot go past his artfully composed quads or his ultra long-wearing lipsticks. No one does sexy, luxury and glamour quite like him, and from his fashion to his colour collections, he never disappoints.
Try Tom Ford Eye Colour Quad in Orchid Haze, $100 and Lip Colour in Cherry Lush, $65, www.shop.davidjones.com.au/djs/en/davidjones/TomFordCosmetics
The Number 1 Look at The Met Gala 2014: Sarah Jessica Parker in Oscar De La Renta
Why this worked:
- It’s SJP and Oscar de la Renta; I mean come on, why wouldn’t this work? She looks like a wildflower in spring. I am LOVING the soft feminine drapings of fabric teamed with the geometrical lines and signed by the man himself, de la Renta is truly paying homage to the great Charles James in a way only he knows how. And what better way to showcase your unquestionable couturier talents than by having SJP glide your gown down the Met Gala red carpet? This is truly fashion royalty at its best.
- She knows what works for her; SJP knows those forget-me-not blue eyes of hers are such a stunning feature, it would truly not make sense for her not to play them up. The classic smokey eye works like a charm for this look; I don’t know what’s more striking, her face or that epic gown.
I have found the answer to your want-that-look prayers; this mega pack featuring all the colour options you’ll need to create SJP’s Met Gala look. This Laura Mercier staple pack contains 4 perfect smokey eye shadows teamed with her iconic black wet-to-dry tightliner, 3 very high quality double ended brushes to perfect the look, a full sized lengthening mascara and full sized lip colour. Are you in love too?
Try Laura Mercier Limited Edition Nude Smokey Eye Palette Collection, $135, in store only and for a Limited Time at David Jones
Which of my Top 4 is your favourite? What were your Top 4 Looks on the 2014 Met Gala Red Carpet?